Thursday, January 21, 2010

Avatar Hype


What's the deal with this movie? I mean for the 10+ years "fans" have been waiting for it, it didn't really blow me away except for the 3d. And even that, I kinda forgot it was 3d about 30mins into it when my eyes gave up trying to adjust from the front row. I just saw an article saying people have become suicidal after watching it cause they know they will never "be apart of that world". http://www.wwtdd.com/2010/01/avatar-is-making-people-suicidal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wwtdd%2Fatom+%28What+Would+Tyler+Durden+Do%3F%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

At first I thought that was a joke, but I guess its real. It was pretty real looking, but the environments aka shiny jungle with super trees, were nothing special considering what older movies have come up with. How bout that lil flick called the Matrix? Dream world where you can instantly upload data into your brain, jump over small buildings and break the laws of physics all day. Or even Neverland, you can freakin fly and no one ages... sounds like a sweet deal to me. But a glittery mass of vegetation with giant blue Indians is what drives people to deep depression when the film ends? I'm gonna assume its the nerdy star wars'esk fans that are quoted in the articles, cause if it's some normal people who just really liked the movie, then they have some serious psychological issues to deal with.

I guess the new 3d camera he used was pretty sweet, but not really mind blowing. I could understand all the excitement if the plot had a single ounce of originality, but it didn't. It copied, almost verbatim, the story of Pocahontas. Don't believe that? Check out the script here... http://web.me.com/pascalboogaert/Site/foto3.html . All this may sound like I seriously hated the movie, which isn't true. It was pretty good, just not world record sales good or "lets hype it up for 10+ years" good. Certainly not Titanic good (Cameron's last big movie) Anyone who saw have any other views on it?

7 comments:

Claire said...

i thought it was very good. that said, for it to be the highest grossing movie EVER is ridiculous. it's not THAT good.

Unknown said...

i kept wanting to see it but never got around to it so i dunno lol. Idiots kept not seeing it in imax so I never wanted to go.

RobDiz8 said...

id say dont bother even downloading it unless you computer is so dope that you can see it in 3D. thats the only way to watch it, not worth it to not see 3D.

Kellen said...

Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully, An Inconvenient Truth, all rolled into one PETA funded package. With a little bit of Vietnam-era anti-military spirit thrown in. While Marines may be ridiculously stupid, they aren't evil all the time as portrayed in the film.

RobDiz8 said...

Good point Kel. I forgot about that part, it was the one part of the movie I wished they changed. The general was so freakin evil, and had no reason to try and kill Jake after ALL of the ships got f'ed up. Like if all my dudes die, ima throw in the towel since killing one more dude wasn't going to get him the metals underground.

L T. O'Brien said...

I agree with everything said, except for the inexcusable insinuation that Titanic was good.

Unknown said...

I saw it last night finally in imax 3d....I thought it was pretty good. Obviously the plot was nothing revolutionary, but I was very entertained. The whole part about the marines I think has been overblown by everyone. If it was like the US marines or anything then yeah, but just cause it used the word marines doesn't mean anything. I don't even know if it has anything to do with the government. They kept talking about shareholders and the bottom line and shit regarding the material. They seemed more like mercs than anything. But I also missed the beginning and got no background haha.