Saturday, February 20, 2010

How Racist Are You?

My sister sends me videos and articles all the time generally about how to make the world better, or idiots in government etc etc. Anywho, the latest one she sent was about a woman who has been conducting a social experiment "How Racist Are You?" for the past 40 years.

The main idea she tries to explain is that the world is built by white people for white people, and to be anything else is to live at a constant disadvantage (She is white by the way). I'm not one to promote stuff like this and preach to people, but this one has sparked a number of different debates and after watching the video I can see why. I original link to the latest experiment is on Megavideo, and if you know anything about Megavideo, you know its a waste of time; so I found two older ones from the first filmed experiment and another newer one on youtube. They get the point across, but the newest one filmed in the UK had the most interesting reactions within it (when I find a better site I'll post it, or if someone finds it that works too).

Check them out and let me know your opinions. I'll try to find the newest one asap since it brought up a lot more than the other two.


Here's the Youtube links:


Here is part one of the UK one, it explains it all for you, then there are no more links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V61f5ocskI4 (I'll find them), but the second link will take you to the start of the experiment in another video.



This is the one she did with her 3rd graders. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8gCJ4K4tnE&feature=related



2 comments:

Unknown said...

my american pluralism professor made us watch this lady in class a couple years ago. I think it worked better on impressionable grade schoolers who already are trying to make fun of eachother for anything than intelligent adults. I honestly think it shows very little about racism in general, but i would have loved to be a part of it cause i woulda gotten sooo pissy at her and just ruined the whole experiment. Woulda been awesome. I don't do well with authority figures, or psych experiments for that matter. Even though you aren't supposed to try and figure them out I usually just see how stupid whatever they are trying to test is and intentionally fuck up their data...or at least i think i do haha, they only sometimes tell you shit at the end.

Claire said...

This was really interesting. People get soooo mad and she's just trying to teach them something.